Monday 11 March 2013

Film review: Flight

Flight(2012)

I have been wanting to see this film since I first heard of it. I almost, naively thought it could cure my fear of flying... I was wrong. The films protagonist is played by Denzel Washington, his character is called Whip. Whip is an alcoholic who uses cocaine to straighten himself out after pounding back the drinks. He is also a pilot. The story is based upon a crash that takes place when the plane malfunctions and the plane plumets nose first to the ground, it 'dives' in their terms! On board the plane the flight attendants have to rescue a couple of situations, resulting in themselves not doing so well.. one was a fellow drunk. However, Whi[p takes full control of the situation and stops its full on crashing. It still crashes but thanks to his expertise only 6 out of 102 die. Its a loss none the less but nothing on the entire plane.
The film then focuses on his behaviour after this, we see into his already failing life. In hospital he meets another addict and they become very close. Yet he doesn't admit hes an alcoholic or user. His arrogance throughout is very slimey. The crash wasn't his fault but you do wonder if had he been in a sane state of mind if he'd of done better. We know he thinks this too, with his first attempt to give up the drink. 
He has a trial to determine his fate, his lawyer is very 'killing' his blood report, so Whips alcohol found in his system is ruled unworthy. So it all depends on Whip, whom even now is drunk.

Now I have to say, I wasn't a major fan of the film. I am an awful flyer and watching their turbulence was enough to make me unsettle my stomach and make me feel ill! So i don't recommend if you are the same. Especially when they say no other pilot after a simulation was made of the crash, could land the plane... all aboard died. And that was before the crash. The crash itself made me nauseous. Amazing as he was, It was horrid.
The story too, you are constantly disappointed with him, genuinely wanting him to sort himself out and take some responsibility... Im glad with the ending though. He needed it.

It was different, but i wont be watching it again... Ever. The effects were fantastic, like I felt I was in the plane with them. Obviously this could be because of my own insecurities but i'm aware, technology needs flight simulations to be as real as possible so this definitely helped the film! However, other than that, there wasn't much else.

Story: 6.2
Acting: 7.3
Cinematics: 8.5

Acting wasn't Denzels finest but it worked with his role, The other actors were typical of themselves, but impressive none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment