Friday 1 March 2013

I Give It A Year

I Give It a Year


     Okay, basically I didn't have high hopes for this film, British comedies have not the best reputations but this one is British with a not so British main cast. I wanted to see it but I expected most of the funnier parts had been given away by trailers... Very glad to say, I was wrong - It was hilarious. British comedies are very much me, That dry sense of humour that Americans can't grasp. Don't get me wrong Id move there tomorrow if I could but Britain just get humour.
      Written and Directed by Dan Mazer who co/wrote and directed a lot of Sacha Baron Cohen's work, such as Ali G, Borat and The Dictator... All brilliantly funny. 
      The story is simple, a couple of not very long, tie the knot. Its obviously from the start where they contrast and are clearly not made for each other as they naively had thought. Everyone but them seems to know this too! Anyway, the story unfolds, revealing an ex of 'Josh' -Rafe Spall- and a new interest in 'Nat's' -Rose Byrne- work place to which she hides her marriage. Both of the, shall we say "pot stirrers" are ironically American too, the irony being it's a British comedy and their parts played by Anna Faris (chloe) and Simon Baker (Guy) were pretty funny at times! 
      Without giving the ending away, its actually not how I expected the film to go. Nat and Guy are the two who come from privileged families and have that level of class where they are slightly above and more beautiful. Whereas Josh and Chloe are down to earth charity workers and writers its obvious who should be with who but the two carry on with their marriage as suggested by a Councillor who's, by the way personal life is a wreck and clearly hates all men. Fantastic character!
All I can say is it is a fantastic film, if you love a dry sense of humour, go!
My favourite character was the best friend played by Stephan Merchant - The kind of person who goes too far and doesn't know when to stop in an already bad situation, definitely my kind of person. He was so amusing!


 Story: 9.4
Acting: 9/10
Soundtrack: 10/10
Wasn't much call for cinematics/special effects.

All in all, I recommend this film. Will definitely be watching it again.. There were moments in the Cinema where I couldn't even catch my breath from laughing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment